Best Email Marketing Tips That Nobody Will Tell You Ever. Email marketing is considered one of the best online marketing strategies of all time. However, have you ever felt like you’re missing out on unlocking its full potential? Well, get ready to be let in on the most rewarding email marketing tips that can take your email campaigns to the next level.
While there isn’t a one-size-fits-all approach, our expertise in email marketing services has enabled us to fine-tune these strategies for maximum impact. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned pro – you can leverage these email marketing best practices to boost your brand’s reach, strengthen customer connections, and drive conversions.
So, without further ado, let’s begin.
Top 10 Email Marketing Best Practices
From improving open rates and leads to boosting conversions, these email marketing tips will give your email campaigns an edge. Whether you’re focused on B2C or B2B email marketing, following these tips will help you achieve marketing goals and maximize outreach potential.
1. Build and manage your list
Want to have a more engaged and receptive audience for your email campaigns? A pro tip is – Build and maintain your email list regularly. It’s not just about the numbers, but about having relevant, active subscribers and avoiding any spam complaints.
Also, while creating your email list, make sure your objectives are in sync with what your target audience is looking for. This email marketing strategy ensures that you’re reaching the right individuals who share common interests and needs.
To build an effective email list, follow these key steps:
- Create valuable content to incentivize subscriptions, such as exclusive resources or discounts that address audience pain points.
- Integrate clear and easily accessible subscription forms across your website and social platforms.
- Use attention-grabbing design structures. Bloggers and webmasters often use floating sign-up boxes to engage visitors as they scroll.
- Segment subscribers based on preferences and behaviours for personalized communication. One way is by using a people search tool, which gathers relevant customer data to customize emails for a more targeted outreach.
If your budget allows, you can use email marketing tools like Mailchimp, HubSpot, or Constant Contact. With a limited budget, you can build your email list through traditional means such as cold calling or requesting email addresses during customer interactions.
2. Provoke readers to take action
In contrast to traditional post office-based mail, email advertising opens the door for significant conversions. To make sure that your readers convert to customers, consider these effective email outreach tips:
Create interesting content – Curate interactive content like polls, surveys or quizzes that encourage active participation and excitement. Using a conversational tone that feels approachable can be a plus as it invites a friendly response.
Incorporate incentives – What really gets recipients going is the emails with exclusive offers and discounts from their favourite brands. Including such incentives in your emails can really make your subscribers happy and motivated to take action. It’s all about providing that extra value and keeping them engaged.
Include CTAs – Put clear and concise call-to-action (CTA) buttons that prompt immediate responses or feedback, guiding recipients to take specific actions effortlessly. This simple yet effective email marketing tactic improves the overall interactivity and responsiveness of the email recipients.
Overseeing these email marketing tips can establish genuine connections, setting you apart from competitors.
3. Create engaging content
The most basic email marketing tip, but we somehow miss the mark on it so often. To adapt this email best practice, here’s the deal:
Personalise your content – When someone remembers your name and
what you like, it feels pretty great, right? Well, the same goes for your subscribers. Tailoring your emails to their interests and needs shows that you’re not just blasting out generic messages; you’re paying attention to what they care about.
Use catchy subject lines – Create subject lines that instantly grab attention and evoke curiosity, prompting immediate action. Whether it’s a limited-time offer, a can’t-miss deal, or an exclusive sneak peek – that little nudge in the subject line can make all the difference between an opened email and one left unread.
Do storytelling – Share stories that make them nod and go, “I totally get that!” Use storytelling to illustrate your brand’s experiences, challenges, or successes that your audience can relate to. Show how your brand is there to make their lives better, tackling their pain points. Effective storytelling humanises your brand, establishing trust and loyalty over time.
And trust me, that kind of personal touch goes a long way in building a real connection with subscribers.
4. Keep it away from spam
On the off chance that your created or built emails get flagged as spam, they’ll never come around. Get going by ensuring your beneficiaries have picked into your emails so you’re not crossing paths with any guidelines like the CAN-SPAM Act.
Past that, avoid using all caps, an excessive number of interjection marks, and exaggerated expressions (“ACT NOW BEFORE TIME RUNS OUT!!!!”). Inadequately arranged HTML in your emails can likewise hurt how they’re taken care of. Each spam filter is unique, so an email may go through one filter yet get flagged by another. For more complete information on how spam filters work and how to avoid them, read Mailchimp’s blog.
5. Focus on clear and concise content
While it may seem self-evident, it’s surprising how many emails resemble amateur websites from the ’90s. This leads to recipients losing interest and missed opportunities. When someone opens your email, it’s crucial to capture and maintain their interest from the get-go.
This email marketing tip might seem obvious, but it’s surprising how often it gets overlooked. So, to keep your content simple and to the point, consider these email marketing strategies:
- Use short paragraphs and sentences that directly relate to the email’s content
- Insert bullet points to help readers quickly grasp the key points and main takeaways
- Keep the language simple without any jargon or complexity
- Personalize your content whenever possible
Employing these suggestions will optimise the readability and impact of your emails, thus positively affecting your overall campaign results.
6. Include relevant links
The ultimate goal of email campaigns is to get people clicking and drive traffic to the targeted webpages, right? No clicks mean no potential customers – it’s as simple as that. That’s why it’s important to complement your emails with links that lead your readers straight to your website, product pages, or even your latest blog posts.
Here’s how you can master adding links in emails:
- Using clear and compelling call-to-action buttons
- Ensuring the linked content is relevant to the email’s context and recipient’s interests
- Test the links to direct recipients to the correct resources
- Avoid excessive use of links to maintain a clean layout
And a quick tip – make sure your links and CTA buttons align with your email’s content. Avoid including affiliate links in your email content as this practice violates the policy guidelines of the FTC and several affiliate programs.
Rest assured, this email marketing tip will make sure your audience is clicking away and engaging with your content like never before.
7. Minimise Unsubscribes
While you’re hustling to grow your email list, it’s easy to miss out on keeping your current subscribers interested. This email advertising tip is to remind you of the importance of nurturing your existing audience.
With thousands of emails flooding in, you definitely want yours to stand out. So, if you notice that the list of inactive subscribers is growing, it’s time to alter some email marketing strategies.
Maybe employ targeted re-engagement campaigns and try sending them special offers or incentives. And don’t forget to ask for feedback. Understanding what makes them tick is key to keeping them on board.
Let’s reflect on some common reasons for the increase in unsubscribes:
- Sending invaluable, irrelevant or excessive emails
- Ignoring segmentation and subscriber preferences & feedback
- Failing to have a seamless design and optimal user experience
- Using misleading or deceptive subject lines
- Making it difficult for subscribers to unsubscribe or manage their preferences
Once you put these email marketing tips into action, you might see open rates climb and engagement soar.
8. Optimise for mobile devices
You’d be surprised, but most people these days are checking their emails on their smartphones or tablets. It’s like 81% of all email opens happen on either smartphones or tablets. That’s why it’s necessary for us marketers to make sure our emails look good on mobile.
To design your emails mobile-friendly:
- Use a responsive email template that adjusts to various screen sizes
- Optimize images and media for quick loading on mobile devices
- Use a legible font size and clear, concise content for easy reading on smaller screens
- Incorporate a single-column layout to enhance readability and navigation
- Ensure that call-to-action buttons are easily tapable and clearly displayed for easy interaction on touch screens.
By implementing these email marketing tips, you can enjoy the benefits of an enhanced user experience, increased engagement, and higher open rates.
9. Use a real and distinct voice
Another email marketing best practice is to maintain an authentic voice when sending marketing messages. Make sure your tone aligns with your brand’s objectives, values, and personality. When your emails reflect these elements, it’s like having a real conversation with your subscribers. Moreover, share value-added content that directly appeals to your audience’s interests and needs. This approach builds a sense of familiarity and trust.
Take note of content types that’ll make you sound authentic:
- Behind-the-scenes stories and anecdotes about your brand and team members
- Personalised recommendations that reflect your audience’s preferences or purchase history
- Articles or blog posts that highlight your unique perspective and expertise
- Customer success stories or case studies
- Useful tips, tricks, or how-to guides that address common pain points of your target audience
- Invitations to webinars, events, or workshops related to your field, offer additional value to your subscribers
And remember, it’s not just about what you say, but what you share. By using these content types, you’re showing that you’re not just about selling but also about adding value to their lives.
10. Analyse key metrics
Last email marketing tip, but here’s the thing. You’ve sent out your emails, but what’s next? Looking into open rates, leads and conversions! This data tells you what’s working and what needs to be changed, helping you fine-tune your campaign for even better results.
Check out these key techniques for analysing and improving the campaign performance:
Conduct A/B testing – Ever heard of A/B testing in email marketing? It’s like trying out two versions of your email to see which one gets a better response. You can experiment with different subject lines, content, or layouts. By figuring out what makes your audience click, quite literally, you can make valuable choices and fine-tune your campaigns to perfection.
Utilise data-driven insights – Numbers don’t lie, right? So, find data insights that reveal your email campaign’s performance. Use that information to make informed decisions and optimize your campaigns for maximum impact. It’s like having a trusted guide that lets you make all the right moves.
Looking for a Professional Email Marketing Agency?
From personalised content creation to data-driven insights, we’ve got the expertise to make it happen.
Contact us now to discuss how we can take your emails to the next level!
If you want to keep up with the world of digital marketing, we invite you to subscribe to our weekly newsletter.